Home of Indiana's Largest Festival

The Parke County Covered Bridge Festivalâ„¢ on October 11th-20th, 2019

Leatherwood Station Covered Bridge (#25)

Leatherwood Station Covered Bridge (#25)

Built: 1899, moved 1981
Builder: Joseph A. Britton, moved & rebuilt by Elmer Buchta
Creek: Leatherwood Creek, moved to Williams Creek
Location: Located 4 miles northwest of Rockville, 2 1/2 miles southwest of Bloomingdale. Moved to Billie Creek Village August 12, 1981. 
Reference Code: #25, 14-61-25, 12-61-28, pb, Reserve 21-16N—8W Moved to Adams 8-15N—7W
Size: 72 ft long +9’ +9’, 16 ft wide, 14 ft clearance
Truss: Burr Arch 1 span
Foundation: Sandstone block, moved to concrete with sandstone showing.
Original Cost: less than $680, moving cost $50,000

Bridge History: Also known as "Harry Wolf Bridge"

Leatherwood Station was northwest of the Leatherwood Station Bridge. It was named for the creek and the railroad station on the B & 0 Railroad. Samuel N. Baker started a pottery business there in 1826, making red ware. In 1830, Samuel Kelly built an oil mill nearby. That area was called Factory Town, but after a potters shop was opened in 1867, it was called Potters Town. Next, to the east, was a hamlet called Java, named for a brand of coffee. Bloomingdale, started in 1825 or 1826 was located next to the east.

The bridge was named for the town on the creek and railroad. Harry Wolf owned the land near the bridge and many called the bridge by his name.

Although the bridge was built by Joseph A. Britton the portal was modified into a Joseph J. Daniels Arch, while the framing for an angular Britton portal can be seen from the inside.

According to a letter by Joseph J. Daniels dated May 18, 1899, he bid $680 to build this bridge. The contract was awarded to Joseph A. Britton for a lesser amount.

The Leatherwood Station Bridge was moved to Billie Creek Village on August 12, 1981. It is now an attraction at the village: open only to foot, horse, and wagon traffic.